ALIM KAMARA WILL BE PRESENT AT THE SALONE BEATS FESTIVAL ON APRIL 27TH ON THE 52ND SIERRA LEONE INDEPENDENCE DAY @THE CORONET
Hammock bridge constructed by the secret societies, passed on the climb to Mount Bintumani
- 200g (2 cups) sweet potato
- ½ tsp ground coriander (cilantro)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp oil
- 6 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 (bell) peppers
- Scotch bonnet chilli to taste (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 210ml (1 cup) water
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomato
- 1 jumbo cube (optional, see notes)
- 500g cooked beans drained weight (or 2x 400 g/14 oz tins)
- Pre heat the oven to fan assisted 160ºC/180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into bite size pieces and season them with ½ tsp coriander, ½ tsp ginger, salt, pepper and 1 tsp oil and mix well
- Slice the onions very thinly, chop the garlic and deseed and chop the peppers and scotch bonnet.
- Bake sweet potato in the oven for up to 30 mins till done. Make sure to stir the cubes at least once during baking so that they cook evenly on all sides
- Heat the remaining oil in a non stick pan and add in the onions, garlic, peppers, scotch bonnet chilli, bay leaves and stir fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Then add in the water, cover and simmer for about 40 mins till onions are soft stirring occasionally.
- Keep an eye on the water level and if it get gets too dry you might need to add in a few tbsp of water at a time.
- Then add in chopped tomatoes and jumbo cube and simmer for another 15 mins.
- Then add in beans and sweet potato and simmer for another 10 mins so the flavours blend together.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.